Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I Suggest........You Duck!

In a conversation with Reagan, my 4 year old grandson, we were somewhere between the topics of going to Target and missing Newton our dog that has passed on to doggie heaven when Reagan changed the course of the conversation. This isn't unusual with 4 year olds. I've learned to follow their route and hang on for the next topic of discussion. He told me, "Mimi, if you are ever by a helicopter and you are by the blades, I suggest you duck." I assured him that I would indeed duck if I ever found myself in that situation. With his reminder that I could get chopped up, the conversation again changed.

If I could borrow from the philosophy of a four year old I would use his words to remind myself and others that in many instances in life.....I suggest, you duck. Duck, dodge, move, run, whatever it may take. I'm not suggesting for a second that we get out of the important matters, however perhaps we could just escape the unimportant.

When it comes to our kids - Duck out of too many phone conversations, text messages, meetings that go on too long and really just go outside and push the swing, throw the ball or eat popsicles.

In our friendships - Run from those who truly want to cause you harm and bring out the worst in you. Don't duck from those who because of the way they live their lives, make you better. You'll gain strength and good character from them, and then you can take on the project friends.

If your husband makes that statement
I want to spend time with you, don't dodge it. He really means, I want to spend time with you. Time with that great girl I married, I miss her.

And then there's God. We can fool ourselves at times that we are ducking out a bit and that maybe He hasn't noticed. He does....and loves us anyway. We may at times move, or run away, but He stays. We may have dodged His voice, but he'll keep calling. He's not the one who ducks or runs or moves or dodges, He just waits.