Tuesday, January 13, 2009

When does this go away?


We were on our way out of Disneyland. Tired, feet aching from walking all over the park and California Adventure for the last day and a half. Good times for sure, but ready to journey on. Then I saw them...right inside the front entrance, not just one but four of the Disney Princesses. "Oh look," I said in a much more excited voice than a 51 year old woman should use when she sees princesses. I didn't even have the excuse that my 2 year old granddaughter was there, she wasn't part of this trip. No, my excitement was all me. Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty and Belle. I didn't just point but went over to where they were. I had to get a close up view. Our whole party followed along and everyone except for Julie probably weren't all too excited. I would have walked right up to take a photo but it would have angered lots of little girl princesses and their princess moms. Yes, in Disneyland everyone is a princess. But I stood there and watched with the biggest smile across my face. Julie, my daughter in law told me about the time when she had her picture taken with all the princesses. She just happened to be in the right spot as they all were entering the park that day, and she got a picture.

I reached Cinderella first, my favorite princess by the way, and I watched as she so tenderly talked to a little girl. She bent down so that she was eye level with this little girl. The little girls eyes were as big and wide open as they could possibly be. They were only inches apart and whatever their conversation was, it was of utmost princess importance. Cinderella was talking so sweet and kind and it seemed that she had all the time in the world for this little girl. Never mind the long lines of princesses waiting, this is all that mattered.

When does this go away? The fascination with a princess? I'm a grandma and it hasn't yet. The funny thing is, I wasn't a real girlie girl, I played football with my brother and climbed trees with the boys next door. I never missed however the Cinderella musical that came on every year with Leslie Ann Warren as Cinderella. I can still sing most of the songs. Is it the promise of happily ever after that we cling to? Is it the search for our prince? I think I'll choose not to analyze it but simply enjoy it. Life isn't a fairy tale as we all know. Reality steps in every day and reminds us that life just isn't make believe. However, I think it is vital that we do have princess moments. Not diva moments, big difference. So, if you'll excuse me now, I must go get my nails done!